Rotherwas, a house of 1732 replacing earlier houses, was set in a landscape park of the early 19th century on the site of a 15th-century deer park. Formal enclosures around the house included a canal garden. The house was demolished in 1925, but some features, including the canal, survive.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
One mile east of Hereford via the B4399 and a minor road.
The first house at Rotherwas appears to have been mediaeval.
The property was acquired in the 15th century by the Bodenham family, who created a deer park at that time.
A new house was built on a nearby site in the early 17th century.
Roger Bodenham had his property confiscated by parliament in 1646 as a 'delinquent'.
By the end of the 17th century the deer park had been converted to agricultural use.
A new house was built in 1732 to the design of James Gibbs, incorporating panelling from the 17th-century house.
A landscape park was established at the beginning of the 19th century, together with a series of formal garden enclosures including a canal.
The house was demolished in 1925. Some estate features survive, including the stable block, the chapel and the canal.
- Associated People
- Features & Designations
- Key Information
Part: ground/below ground level remains