The Queen's House, sited on a small hill at the west end of Lyndhurst High Street, is owned by the Crown. Although principally of the 17th century, the house has been extended and altered several times. The garden of approximately 6.75 acres slopes to the south, it is mostly open meadow with some specimen trees.
Over the years the Queen's House has served different functions from a Manor House, a Royal Residence, a Court of Justice and the Administrative Office of the New Forest. The Hall where the Verderers of the New Forest held their ancient courts has been retained.
Terrace, Kitchen Garden, Pond, Tree Feature
- Access & Directions
DirectionsAt the west end of the High Street, in the centre of Lyndhurst
Over the years the Queen's House has served different functions. It has been a Manor House, a Royal Residence, a Court of Justice, and the Administrative Office of the New Forest (Edlin H L HMSO1966). The house itself has been modified and enlarged several times, but the boundary of its grounds has remained almost unaltered. It is sited on a small hill, at the west end of the High Street of Lyndhurst, with open ground sloping to the south behind. Until mid 19th century there were extensive stables and kennels on the north side of the road (HRO 149M89/R/6151); c.1850 they were replaced by the National School. A sketch plan of 1748, when it was known as Lyndhurst House, shows that there was a narrow court between the house and the road. Close to the house on the south side, was a small terraced area and orchard. There was a large kitchen garden bordering the west boundary, and a pond screened by trees in the lower corner; the major part of the garden was left as meadow (HRO 149M89/6151). A much less detailed sketch plan of 1854 shows that this basic layout had not changed, except that the kitchen garden is not marked and trees have been planted all round the boundary (PRO F17/282). From 1851 the house became the residence and offices of the Deputy Surveyor of the New Forest . Early in the 20th century the estates to the south of the Queen's House, Shrubbshill and Gascoignes, were sold for development, and the Queen's House garden is now surrounded by a purely residential area (M2008). Today the Queen's House is primarily the H.Q. of the New Forest National Park, but has retained the hall where the Verderers' of the Forest hold their ancient courts. The garden covers the same ground as in the 18th century, it has been adapted to include a wide entrance gate, car park, pathways and some flower beds. There are some specimen trees and shrubs in the meadow.
Hampshire Gardens Trust