Parish's House (also known as Honeylands)2565

Bath, England

Brief Description

Parish's House is a small landscape park dating from the early-19th century. Features include a young arboretum, specimen trees and a kitchen garden.

Detailed Description

The site is a well-maintained garden receiving good attention. There is a mixture of formal and informal elements, old and new planting.

It is a well-ordered site entered from the north-east. It is broadly bounded by mature trees and a young arboretum featuring maples, spruce and cedar. To the south of the house, a lawn slopes down to the ha-ha and there are specimen copper beech and walnut trees. On the east side of the house is a large, irregularly shaped kitchen garden still in active use.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is a country residence of modest size and regency design.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: The arboretum is of recent date. It features acers, spruce, willow, ornamental cherry and holly informally planted along the boundary.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The kitchen garden is a large irregularly shaped area with glasshouses along the north wall. It was still a fully working garden when last surveyed in 1987.
  • Balustrade
  • Description: The balustrade is of ashlar and probably dates to around 1816. The length of the feature is about 40 metres, at a height of around 0.5 metres. It has a moulded plinth and heavy balusters carrying a cambered rail, the whole being divided and articulated by panelled newels.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The stable block is now used for garden storage. The buildings are of ashlar with a slate roof. The central two-storey gabled section has paired doors in a rusticated base, a sash above and the gable as pediment. There are single storey wings to each side, which have round-headed openings now filled by tripartite sashes.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Timsbury
History

Detailed History

The site was acquired by Captain Parish R.N. when he married the site's heiress, Mary Crang. She had inherited the house, then known as 'Honeylands' from her grandfather. The original building on the site was incorporated as a wing when what is now known as Parish's House was built in 1816. The 'new' house was possibly to the design of Thomas Baldwin, City Architect at Bath.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References