Orchard House (also known as Orchard Side)4643

Olney, England

Brief Description

The site has the extensively restored gardens of an 18th-century house. There are two separate areas of planting: a flower garden and a summer house garden.

History

The core of the house originates from the 17th century, though most of the property dates from the 18th century.The house was owned by the poet William Cowper from 1768 to 1786 and thus in the 19th century was known as 'Cowper's House'.The property and gardens were purchased for use as museum in the early-20th-century. Restoration work on the gardens began in 1994.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/cnm/htmlpages/visiting.html More information
Features
Pond, Summerhouse, Orchard
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/cnm/htmlpages/visiting.html

Directions

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/cnm/htmlpages/maps.html
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Olney
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References