Dunbar's Close is a largely formal garden in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town. The site runs north from the Canongate, the main spine of the Old Town, down a slope towards Calton Road. The formal part of the garden is divided into three parterres, one of which includes seasonal planting. It is mainly a garden of green hedges, yew, box and bay. There is a large east-facing garden with old roses and irises, bordered by a long hedge of lavender. It is a secluded place, offering an area of calm off a very busy street.
On the 1647 map of Edinburgh by Gordon of Rothiemay the site was a garden. Since then the site was built over but the buildings were cleared in the early-1970s and this garden created. The garden is designed to give an impression of what gardens in this area were like in the 17th century but it is not an exact historical reconstruction. It is, however, a very historic site. The west wall of the garden is a party wall of the graveyard of the Canongate Church, (dedicated 1691) and looking towards the garden on the east side is Panmure House where Adam Smith lived from 1772 until his death in 1790. Holyrood Palace is nearby in the grounds of which the Botanic Garden was first sited in 1670.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open daily except Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
TerrainNorth-facing slope of oldest part of the City of Edinburgh.
- Description: The formal part of the garden is divided into three parterres.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open daily except Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
DirectionsThe site is on the north side of the Canongate, adjacent to the Canongate Church.
City of Edinburgh CouncilParks Department, 1 Cockburn Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1BJ
Mrs Anna Buxton