Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Cherington Park (also known as Cherrington Park)

Introduction

The gardens at Cherington Park are associated with an 18th-century manor house.

Sale particulars dating back to 1888 mentioned flower gardens, shrubberies and pleasure grounds. There was also a vinery on one end of the house and productive walled gardens and orchards.

By the mid-19th century (sale particulars 1935) there was a bowling green and tennis and croquet lawns as well as ornamental and productive gardens. The ornamental gardens included a formal walled garden with herbaceous borders and fruit trees. Cherington Pond, 4.5 acres (about 1.8 hectares), with its boathouse was included as part of the estate sale. Mention was also made of winding walks, pastureland and well-timbered parkland.

A description of the gardens dating back to 1974 mentioned lawns, a yew hedge and a large specimen monkey puzzle tree.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Owners

Mr & Mrs Tarlton

History

The park had been created by 1730 and served as a deer park in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Cherington Pond was dug in 1740 as part of improvements to the manor house estate. At one time it was well-known as a summer weekend destination for industrial workers from nearby Stroud and Nailsworth.

Period

18th Century (1701 to 1800)

Key Information

Type

Garden

Principal Building

Domestic / Residential

Period

18th Century (1701 to 1800)

Survival

Unknown

Civil Parish

Cherington

References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

  • Joan Jones