Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Castlewellan Forest Park (also known as Castlewellan Castle)729

Short Description

This is an 18th-century walled demesne with mid-19th-century development. Features include mature parkland, woodland trees, forest planting, a lime tree avenue, a walled garden with an outstanding plant collection begun in the 1850s and many garden buildings, including a tea house and the Garden Cottage.

Visitor Facilities

Visitor car park with accessible parking, coach set down point, disabled access visitor toilets, wheelchair access from car park to cafe and picnic areas. Cafe open daily in summer months 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. - limited opening hours from October to Easter. Fishing on lake by permit, way-marked forest paths, family cycling trail and the Peace Maze (world's largest permanent hedge maze).
Features
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Lime trees
  • Tower
  • Description: Moorish design
  • Pond
  • Description: Duck ponds
  • Garden House
  • Description: Private tenancy, not open for public viewing
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Private ownership, not open for public viewing
  • Glasshouse
  • Description: Not publicly accessible
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Herbaceous Border, Lake, Icehouse
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Forest Park and Gardens open all year daily 10 a.m. to sunset.

Directions

On the northern outskirts of Castlewellan, off the A25.
History

History

The demesne was devloped from 1741. The present house was built in 1856. Ornamental tree and shrub collections were begun then, and much expanded later. The site was bought in 1967 by the Ministry of Agriculture for Northern Ireland.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact
References

References