Buxshalls 5728

Haywards Heath, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, England

Brief Description

The present house was built in the 1830s. Garden features include an entrance lodge, topiary, fish ponds, memorial chapel and boathouses.

Detailed Description

There is an entrance lodge to the north of the entrance drive (dating from before 1874). An elaborate topiary hedge ran/runs parallel with the road.

The drive curves westwards, and is partly tree-lined.

In the fields south of the entrance drive are two large fish ponds.

The house was built in the Georgian style, overlooking countryside to the south. Originally, Buxshalls Farm lay to the north of the house. Later on the buildings became estate workers' houses. In recent years there have been demolitions and additions.

To the south-west of the house is a turning circle beyond which lies a lawn. There are steps and balustrading (around 1876) that lead down to a large rectangular-shaped lawn. There are the remains of a rock garden running parallel to the retaining wall. Beyond this lie the remnants of an orchard.

To the west of the rectangular lawn, although now overgrown, is the site of a small swimming pool with a fountain at the southern end and steps leading northwards to the ‘Venetian' temple. This had stone columns surmounted by an open wrought iron dome. It appears the same dome with metal columns is now situated on the lawn to the north of the house. The carved stone steps still remain.

To the west of the house was a glasshouse, the white painted back wall of which still remains.

Also to the west of the house there are three arches in a stone wall with a wide grass path leading westwards, which culminate in a gate with stone pillars, thus creating a vista overlooking the fields. There were wide herbaceous borders either side of this path with rope swags at the rear.

The kitchen garden was possibly situated to the north of this area.

In the lawn to the east of the house, there was a large geometrically-shaped flower bed.

A memorial chapel, built around 1899 in memory of Dudley Sampson's son, lies some distance to the north of the house and is reached by a path, which leads througha small woodland.

Two thatched boathouses linked by a covered bridge lay on either side of the River Ouse, which runs at the bottom of the valley to the south of the house.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is built in Georgian style.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: The drive curves westwards, and is partly tree-lined.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There is an entrance lodge to the north of the entrance drive (dating from before 1874).
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Description: An elaborate topiary hedge ran/runs parallel with the road.
  • Fishpond
  • Description: In the fields south of the entrance drive are two large fish ponds.
  • Balustrade
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: There are the remains of a rock garden.
  • Outdoor Swimming Pool
  • Description: To the west of the rectangular lawn, although now overgrown, is the site of a small swimming pool with a fountain at the southern end and steps leading northwards.
  • Temple
  • Description: There was a 'Venetian' temple. This had stone columns surmounted by an open wrought iron dome. It appears the same dome with metal columns is now situated on the lawn to the north of the house.
  • Glasshouse
  • Description: To the west of the house was a glasshouse, the white painted back wall of which still remains.
  • Flower Bed
  • Description: In the lawn to the east of the house, there was a large geometrically-shaped flower bed.
  • Chapel
  • Description: A memorial chapel, built around 1899 in memory of Dudley Sampson's son, lies some distance to the north of the house and is reached by a path, which leads through a small woodland.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Boat House
  • Description: Two thatched boathouses linked by a covered bridge lay on either side of the River Ouse, which runs at the bottom of the valley to the south of the house.
  • River
  • Description: River Ouse.
Lawn, Orchard
Access & Directions

Directions

The site is located to the north of Lindfield, off the B2028.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Lindfield
History

Detailed History

Buxshalls is first mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles as a ‘pig pasture' (bogyeselle). In medieval times it was the family home of Boxville from Robertsbridge. The ownership was with the Challoner family from the 1500s to the 1600s. Around 1785 it was owned by the Tully family. William Jolland built the present house in the early 1830s.

Jolland's daughter married Lieutenant Colonel Dudley Sampson and Buxshalls became their family home. Dudley Sampson died in 1917, aged 76. Sir Henry Cautley, MP for East Grinstead, lived there from 1927 until his death in 1946. He was followed by the Askews who, it would appear, eventually handed the house over for use as a residential home for the elderly.

References

Contributors

  • Hilary May

    1

  • Sussex Gardens Trust