The site has a medieval hall house, with associated moat and stewponds.
The Ordnance Survey 1st edition map shows the main house with the moat to the south, flanked by woods to the west and east. The most recent Ordnance Survey map shows fish ponds, rectangular in shape, to the east of the moat.
An aerial photograph (GetMapping.com) shows a large car park to the immediate north of the house, with the fish ponds apparently filled in.
The Manor was held by the Priory of Morlain after 1066. It was seized in 1324 and 1337 by Edward II and Edward III respectively. It was granted to the Priory of Hastings in the early-15th-century. Court leets were held at the site.
It became a manor house at the beginning of the 18th century, the first tenant being John Pike in 1714.
- Features & Designations
- Key Information
Part: standing remains
Sussex Gardens Trust