Ballyscullion House 255

Magherafelt, Northern Ireland

Brief Description

The site is a part-walled demesne. The ruins of the 1787 house are there, as well as the present house, which dates from the mid-19th century. There are stands of trees in the parkland including shelter belts and clumps. The site has views of Lough Beg and beyond, a folly tower and a spire on Church Island as an eye-catcher.

History

There has been a house and demesne here since about 1787. The original house was demolished about 1810, and the present one dates from the mid-19th century.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Tree Clump, Shelter Belt, Tower, Kitchen Garden, Gate Lodge
Access & Directions

Directions

The site is one mile east of Bellaghy.
History

Detailed History

The house and demesne were built in 1787 for Frederick Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry. The house, which was incomplete, was demolished around 1810. The present house was built to the design of Charles Lanyon about 1850.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Associated People

People associated to Ballyscullion House

Contact

Telephone

028 9056 9615

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References