William Croggon was a sculptor from Cornwall, England active in the early-19th century. He was a cousin of Miss Eleanor Coade (born 1733, died 1821) with whom he acted as partner in the Lambeth, London, England artifical stone manufactory from 1813 until her death in 1821.
In addition to artificial stone, Croggon worked in terracotta, scagliola and marble and is perhaps best known for the decorative works he supplied to Buckingham Palace, London, England in the 1820s.
After Eleanor Coade's death in 1821, Croggon purchased the business and continued producing works at Lambeth until his own death in 1835. After Croggon's death the company was taken over by his son, Thomas John Croggon, and was refounded as Croggon and Co.
Gunnis, Rupert, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, New and Revised Edition (London: Murray's Sales and Service Co., 1968), pp. 116-117.
Kelly, Allison, 'Coade Stone in Georgian Architecture', Architectural History, Vol. 28, 1985 (1985), pp. 71-101
Roberts, Sir Howard and Walter H. Godfrey (eds.) 'Coade's Artificial Stone Works', Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 58-61. <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47044> [accessed 24 February 2008]
Ruch, John E., 'Regency Coade: A Study of the Coade Record Books, 1813-21', Architectural History, Vol. 11, 1968 (1968), pp. 34-56+106-107.
Kelly, Allison,Mrs Coade's Stone (Upton-upon-Severn: Self Publishing Association in conjunction with The Georgian Group, 1990).