Richard Turner

Richard Turner was an Irish engineer who specialised in the design of conservatories and heating chambers. He founded the Hammersmith Ironworks in Dublin in 1834. He built a cast-iron conservatory at Bellevue, Co. Fermanagh (1835-7).

Turner's first major work was the Palm House, a domed glasshouse which he constructed to the design of Charles Lanyon, at Belfast Botanic Gardens in 1839. After this, he worked to his own designs, building curvilinear glasshouses for the Royal Dublin Society at Glasnevin in 1843.

He worked with Decimus Burton to design the Palm House at Kew (1845-8).

Associated Places