Who was the Reverend Carruthers?
Reverend Andrew Carruthers was born in Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland on the 7th February 1770. He was the son of Catholic parents, Andrew Carruthers and his wife Lucy Rigg. The priest and historian James Carruthers was his brother.
Life and Work
Carruthers was active in the late-18th and early-19th century especially between the years 1795 and 1830. Some of the gardens Carruthers is noted for are Munches and St Peter's in Dalbeattie. Carruthers is also linked with Woodhall, Kirkcudbrightshire.
Carruthers was ordained a priest on 25 March 1795. He was stationed first to the missionary station at Balloch on the Drummond Castle estate, in Perthshire, then in 1797 appointed as the chaplain to the Earl of Traquair at the Stuart family seat Traquair in Peeblesshire, and 1800 he moved to the mission at Munches, seat of the Maxwells at Dalbeattie in his native Kirkcudbrightshire.
He was appointed the Vicar Apostolic of the Eastern District and Titular Bishop of Ceramus by the Holy See on 28 September 1832.