James Gandon was an architect active, particularly in County Dublin, Ireland, in the late-18th and early-19th centuries. He was born in London, England on 20 February 1742, the son of Peter Gandon (born 1713), a gun maker and practicing alchemist of French Huguenot descent.
In about 1757, after studying at Shipley's Drawing Academy in St. Martin's Lane, London, Gandon was apprenticed to the architect Sir William Chambers. Later, around 1764, he began practising on his own in England, Ireland and Wales.
Gandon died on 24 December 1823 at an estate he had purchased at Canonbrook, in Lucan, near Dublin. He was buried in Drumcondra churchyard.
Colvin, Howard, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 3rd edition (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1995), pp. 385-387.
McParland, Edward, James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (London: A. Zwemmer, 1985)
National Archives, National Register of Archives, Person Details, 'Gandon, James (1743-1823), Architect, GB/NNAF/P160018' <http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=P41646&tabType=ARCHIVE> [accessed 3 February 2008]
O'Dwyer, Frederick, ‘Gandon, James (1742–1823)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004) <http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/10332> [accessed 3 February 2008]
Wynne, Michael, 'Tilly Kettle's Last Painting?' The Burlington Magazine, Vol. 109, No. 774. (September, 1967), pp. 530+532-533.