James Boucher was an architect active, especially in Scotland, in the mid- to late-19th and early-20th centuries. He was born in Scotland on 24 August 1826, the son of the Reverend James Boucher, a minister at Cumbernauld.
From 1842 Boucher was articled to Charles Wilson. He later, in 1853, 1855 and 1857, embarked on tours of Europe. From 1855 to 1866 Boucher was partners with James Cousland and based in Glasgow, Scotland. After Cousland's death, in 1866, Boucher continued the practice alone. In 1875, however, he took into the partnership his former pupil and assistant, Henry Higgins. At this stage, the firm changed its name to Boucher & Higgins.
Boucher died on 7 September 1906 at Swiss Villa, Coulport, Scotland. The practice was later continued on by Higgins and his son.
Dictionary of Scottish Architects, DSA Biography Report, 'James Boucher' <http://www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa/architect_full.php?id=L000168> [accessed 13 February 2008]