David Thomson, architect was born on 16th October 1831 in Glasgow. He was for many years assistant to Charles Heath Wilson until his death in 1862. For a period afterwards, Thomson dealt mainly with churches, schools and country houses. Between 1876-1883 Thomson held a partnership with Robert Turnbull, although the 1881 recession is likely to have led to the downfall of the practice. From 1890 Thomson became partners with Colin Menzies. It is likely that the large additions made to Robert Adam's original design at Airthrey Castle, Stirling, in 1891 were created by the Thomson and Menzies practice. David Thomson retired in 1897, and died on 6th November 1910.