Alfred Wagg lived at The Hermitage, East Grinstead. He joined the family firm of Helbert, Wagg & Co., City stockbrokers, but when he became head of the firm it became known as Schroder Wagg, later Schroders, which still exists. He also gave part of the land on which today's Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, now stands, as well as being a generous benefactor to local people who had fallen on hard times.
Incidentally it was his sister, Elsie Wagg, also a philanthropist and living at The Hermitage, who started the National Gardens Scheme in 1926 where private gardens were opened to the public on a 'special' day to raise money for nursing and other charities. This highly popular scheme continues to this day.