Alfred Darbyshire was an architect active, particularly in Manchester, from the mid-19th to the early-20th century. He was first articled to the architect Peter Bradshaw Alley, of Lane and Alley, Manchester, from 1855 until 1862, before going into practice for himself. His most noted works were designs for theatres.
He was born on 20 June 1839 in Salford, Lancashire, England the son of a dyeworks manager, William Darbyshire, and his wife, Mary Bancroft, both Quakers. Alfred too was a member of the Society of Friends.
On 10 August 1870 he married Sarah (died 1933), the daughter of William Marshall of Westmorland and together they had three children.
Darbyshire died on 5 July 1908 at Manchester Infirmary and was buried at Flixton church.
According to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, he is often confused with H. A. Darbishire, another architect.
Dungavell, Ian, ‘Darbyshire, Alfred (1839–1908)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004) <http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/32712> [accessed 8 January 2008]
National Archives, National Register of Archives, Person Details, 'Darbyshire, Alfred (1839-1908) Architect and Antiquary, GB/NNAF/P145847' <http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=P39603> [accessed 8 January 2008]