Hardwicke Court 6155

Hardwicke, Gloucestershire, England, Gloucestershire, Stroud

Brief Description

The gardens and parkland at Hardwicke Court retain elements of a 17th-century layout, including ornamental canals. Other features include ornamental gardens and a walled garden with glasshouses.

History

There was a manor house and deer park on the site as early as the 12th century. Formal gardens were laid out during the 17th century. Thomas Lloyd-Baker bought the estate in the early-19th century, rebuilt the house and informalised some of the canals.

Visitor Facilities

The gardens are open at restricted times. Please phone 01452 720212 or see the website.

Detailed Description

The gardens are well-maintained and include ornamental gardens, a fountain, an orchard, woodland walks, a walled garden with glasshouses, canals, deer park and extensive parkland. An angled section of canal survives from the 17th-century layout, perhaps based on a medieval moat. Other sections of canal, informalised in the early 19th century with an island added, also remain, with one side in a formal style and the other reflecting the picturesque.
Features
  • Ornamental Fountain
  • Description: A circular stone-lined pool with a moulded rim and a central urn with fountain-head.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: A walled garden with glasshouses.
  • Canal
  • Description: Sections of ornamental canals with formal and informal features.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Orchard
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The gardens are open at restricted times. Please phone 01452 720212 or see the website.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Hardwicke
History

Detailed History

A manor house and deer park existed at Hardwicke at least as early as 1188. The extant angled canal may relate to a contemporary moat. In 1397 the estate passed to the Trye family. Their ownership, the gardens and the house were recorded on the 1699 map, which was later depicted by Kip in 1714-5 (although the Kip layout varies from the 1699 plan, the essence of his view was actually constructed). The gardens were originally laid out in formal 17th-century style, of which some still remains. At this time only the parkland immediately to the east was owned, but the land ownership was increased over the next several hundred years, with the holding recorded in 1810 being very similar to that shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. Part of one canal was infilled around the time of the construction of the Robert Smirke house in 1817-19 for its new owner, Thomas Lloyd-Baker. Part of the remaining two canals was informalised and an island added.
Associated People
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust