Weston Parks 6746

Weston, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

There were two parks in Weston in the Middle Ages, focused on Red Castle, near Weston. They are now lost, and presumably were incorporated into the later Hawkstone park.

History

Around 1227 Henry de Audley purchased the cliff of Redcliffe, in Weston manor, from the Crown. In the same year he procured a licence to build Red Castle there, which became the principal seat of the family in Shropshire. In 1283 there were two parks in Weston, presumably appurtenant to the castle. They were still in use in 1308.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Weston-under-Redc
References

References