Wallington, Walled Garden 4276

Morpeth, England

Brief Description

The Walled Garden is located at the far north-east corner of East Wood. The south-west wall of the garden is cut into the hillside of the park on one side. The garden is also surrounded by brick walls on each side to provide shelter. The garden is now largely ornamental but was originally part of the Kitchen Garden. The garden also has the National Collection of Elders (Sambucus).

History

The remodelling of the Walled Garden is largely attributed to Sir George Otto Trevelyan in 1886. Further changes were made by Lady Mary Trevelyan in 1938. Graham Stuart Thomas redesigned the lower section of the garden for the National Trust in the 1960s.

Visitor Facilities

The grounds are open daily throughout the year. Please see: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wallington/opening-times/ More information

Terrain

undulating
Features

Plant Environment

  • Environment
  • Walled Garden
  • Gate
  • Description: Neptune Gate.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Description: Sir George Trevelyan added the Conservatory or Winter Garden in 1908. It is located along the terrace on the north wall of the garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Pond
  • Description: Lady Mary Trevelyan added the Mary Pool to the garden in 1938. It is located close to the entrance of the garden along the west wall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: The Garden House is located in the north-east corner of the garden. It lies just outside the walls.
  • Pond
  • Description: New pond is located in the far south-west corner of the garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rockery
  • Description: Sir George Trevelyan first established the rockery in 1886. Lady Mary Trevelyan expanded the area in 1938.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Sir George Trevelyan established the terrace in 1886. 18th century lead figures were placed along it.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Orchard
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The grounds are open daily throughout the year. Please see: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wallington/opening-times/

Directions

The site is off the A1 between Newcastle and Morpeth. Please see: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wallington/how-to-get-here/
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wallington
History

Detailed History

Sir George Otto Trevelyan is largerly attributed with the remodelling of the Walled Garden in 1886. Trevelyan imported terracotta urns and wrought-iron gates. He replaced the vegetable beds and greenhouses which had been part of the original Kitchen Garden with herbaceous borders. He also added new greenhouses, a rock garden and placed 18th century lead figures along the terrace.

Lady Mary Trevelyan enlarged the rockery at the west end of the garden in 1938. She also incorporated lots of old worked stone into the garden and created what is now known as the Mary Pool.

The National Trust employed Graham Stuart Thomas to redesign the lower section of the garden in the 1960s and early-1970s. Thomas re-established the stream through the garden, added a small nuttery and created a new open area where formerly derelict greenhouses had been.

Associated People
Contact
References

References