Old Warden Park, Swiss Garden 3201

Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, England

Brief Description

Situated within Old Warden Park, the Swiss Garden covers about 9 hectares and includes thatched cottages, ponds and an ornamental bridge.

History

In 1814 Robert, third Lord Ongley inherited the estate, creating the Swiss Garden during the 1820s and 1830s. He is thought to have been inspired by J B Papworth's Hints on Ornamental Gardening (1823), and P F Robinson's Village Architecture (1830), Robinson being employed to construct the Swiss Chalet in about 1825.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open every day from 9.30 am. Please see: http://www.shuttleworth.org/opening_times.asp

Detailed Description

More detailed information about this site, taken from the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest, is available within the master record entitled Old Warden Park.

Features

Style

  • Swiss-Style Garden
  • Pond
  • Description: There are two ponds.
  • Swiss Chalet (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Thatched tree shelter.
  • Pavilion
  • Description: Indian pavilion.
Ornamental Bridge, Vase, Walk, Pulhamite, Grotto, Fernery [glasshouse]
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open every day from 9.30 am. Please see: http://www.shuttleworth.org/opening_times.asp

Directions

The site is signposted from the A1 or A600. Nearest station - Biggleswade.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Old Warden
Associated People

Just one person associated to Old Warden Park, Swiss Garden

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

References

References