Chesters House 4444

Hexham, England

Brief Description

Chesters House has an associated landscape park with mature woodland. There is also a walled garden. Part of the estate features the remains of Chesters Roman Fort, which is now in the ownership of English Heritage.

History

Chesters house was built in 1771. The park was created in the late-18th and early-19th centuries.

Features
  • Great House (featured building)
  • Description: Chesters house was built in 1771. Norman Shaw extensively remodelled and enlarged the property. In 1891 a curved wing was added. It has ionic columns with the walls of the house recessed behind them.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Ha-ha
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Humshaugh
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Sarah Collins