- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
The origins of Brunswick Square date back to 1790 when the Governors of the cash-strapped Foundling Hospital for abandoned children lost their Government grant and decided to develop their estate. They commissioned the exceptional builder James Burton to create a garden surrounded on three sides by town houses, beginning with the south side in 1801. The square was named after the enigmatic Queen Caroline of Brunswick, wife of King George IV and the only British Queen to be tried for adultery (she won the case).
- Associated People
- Features & Designations
- Key Information
Open to the public