Adlestrop Park 43

Moreton-in-Marsh, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

Adlestrop Park is a landscape park of around 40 hectares, laid out in the 18th and early 19th centuries. This work was in conjunction with improvements to the grounds of Adlestrop Rectory (now Adlestrop House, see separate record).

History

Sanderson Miller worked on the landscape in the mid-18th century, followed by Humphry Repton.

Detailed Description

The curvaceous mid-18th-century gardens laid out by Sanderson Miller were largely swept away by Humphry Repton in the late 18th and early 19th century, but a serpentine canal, irregular lake and wriggling paths survive. A belt of trees between the properties of Adlestrop House and Adlestrop Park undermines the link between the houses that Repton worked on by creating a stream garden between the two. The stream is now (2000) smothered but Repton's rock ledges in the stream (1779) survive and represent an early example of a rock garden.

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/

A country house, and a former rectory, with integrated pleasure grounds and a landscape park of about 1800 by Humphry Repton.

LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING

Adlestrop Park stands within its park on the north side of the A436, about 5 kilometres east of Stow-on-the-Wold. Unclassified roads loop off the A436 around the east and west sides of the park, serving the village of Adlestrop which lies north of Adlestrop Park. The area here registered is about 70 hectares [including Adlestrop House].

REFERENCES Used by English Heritage

Victoria History of the County of Gloucestershire VI, (1965), pp 8-11

N Kingsley, The Country Houses of Gloucestershire, Volume Two, 1660-1830 (1992), pp 46-9

Adlestrop Park: Restoration Plan, (Land Use Consultants 1993)

Maps

OS 6" to 1 mile: 1st edition surveyed 1883, published 1884

Description written: May 1999

Edited: March 2003

Features
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Deciduous trees in the park and cedars of Lebanon nearer the house.
  • Dovecote
  • Description: This is now used as a house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Created by William Andrews Nesfield on the south side of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Lake
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Adlestrop
History

Detailed History

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/

HISTORIC DEVELOPMENT

Adlestrop, formerly monastic land, has been owned by members of the Leigh family since 1553. Soon after he succeeded his father in 1623 William Leigh (died 1690) took up residence here, perhaps converting a barn south-east of the church into a house. From this time until the early 19th century, when James Henry Leigh MP (died 1823) inherited Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire (see separate description of this site in the Register), the family were usually resident here.

From William Leigh it passed to successive elder sons: Theophilus (died 1725), who may have laid out formal gardens; William (died 1757), for whom Sanderson Miller enlarged the house and Samuel Driver laid out gardens; James (died 1774); James Henry (died 1823), who with his uncle Thomas Leigh, the rector, brought in Humphry Repton (1752-1818) in 1798 to improve Adlestrop; and Chandos, created Lord Leigh (died 1850), for whom W. A. Nesfield (1793-1881) made alterations and laid out a parterre. Thereafter the manor descended with the peerage until about 1960 when Lord Leigh made over the estate to his eldest son. It remains (1999) in private ownership.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Associated People
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust