Toxteth Park Cemetery, Toxteth, England
Record Id: 3287
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site occupies about 16 hectares of gently rising ground to the east of Liverpool city centre. Features include two ornate entrances, a pair of gate lodges and a single remaining chapel. There are also several listed memorials. An unusual survival is the former 19th-century monumental mason's yard and linked range of buildings, which are all listed grade II.
Brief history of site
In 1855 a competition was held for the design of the proposed Toxteth Park cemetery. Designs were chosen by T D Barry of Liverpool for the buildings and by William Gay of Bradford for the laying out of the ground. Toxteth Park Cemetery was opened in 1856, originally covering 12 hectares and extended by a further four at a later date.
Address: Toxteth Park Cemetery, 124 Smithdown Road, Liverpool, Merseyside, L15 2HD
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||108||Grid Ref:||SJ375889|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: chapel
Site first created: 1856
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 16