Pudsey Cemetery, Leeds, England
Record Id: 2720
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Opened in 1875, Pudsey Cemetery is a municipal cemetery with buildings and layout by William Gay. Features include two mortuary chapels, linked by a high tower and a two-storey, Gothic-style stone lodge with gabled slate roof. The cemetery occupies sloping ground, with extensive views out across the valley of the River Aire towards Guiseley and the high moors to the north.
Brief history of site
On 13 March 1870 a Burial Board for Pudsey was formed, and the choice of a location for a cemetery was subject to a poll of the ratepayers on three occasions between 1870 and 1872. The 4.8 hectare site at Back Lane was chosen and purchased in 1872, and William Gay was appointed as architect shortly afterwards. The grounds were laid out by John Senior of Harlow Heath. The eastern half of the cemetery was consecrated for Church of England burials on 8 June 1875, and the first interment took place on 9 June 1875 in the unconsecrated, western portion of the ground.
Address: Pudsey Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Pudsey, Leeds, LS28 7LW
West Yorkshire; Leeds; Pudsey
Historical County: Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||104||Grid Ref:||SE220334|
Opening contact details:
Pudsey Cemetery is open daily from 8.30am during the week and 10 am at weekends.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1870 to 1875
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4.8