Philips Park Cemetery, Manchester, England
Record Id: 2617
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The cemetery is partly bounded by the River Medlock, which flows in an open culvert faced in red terracotta brick to the south. Other features include a number of entrances, a Gothic-style gate lodge, a raised bed and a war memorial. Only one of the original four chapels remains.
Brief history of site
Philips Park Cemetery was designed by William Gay, with architects Paull and Ayliffe of Manchester, after winning a competition in 1863. The cemetery opened in 1866, and was completed in 1867. It originally occupied about 16.5 hectares and had three chapels, one Catholic, one Anglican, one for other denominations. It was extended later, to about 20 hectares, to include a Jewish burial ground and chapel.
Address: Philips Park Cemetery, Riverpark Road, Miles Platting, Manchester, M40 2XT
Greater Manchester; Manchester
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ872993|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from 9 am, or from 10 am on weekends and bank holidays.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: chapel
Site first created: 1863 to 1867
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 20