Lawnswood Cemetery, Adel, Leeds, England
Record Id: 2027
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lawnswood Cemetery is situated about 6km north-west of Leeds city centre. The original site covered some 6.25 hectares (the registered area) which has since been extended. Features of the site include several listed memorials, a cemetery lodge in Vernacular Revival style, a columbarium, a crematorium of 1905 and a number of specimen trees.
Brief history of site
The land was purchased in 1874, and Lawnswood Cemetery was opened in 1875. It was designed by William Gay with George Corson as architect. The crematorium opened in 1905.
Address: Otley Rd, Adel, LS16 6AH
West Yorkshire; Leeds; Adel and Wharfedale
Historical County: Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||104||Grid Ref:||SE267390|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal cemetery for general public use. For opening times please see:
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: chapel
Site first created: 1875
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6.25