FeatureThe Chinese Bridge
Painshill Park, Surrey
Historic bridge in derelict state; a need to identify whether the bridge was the original 18th century structure.
The Chinese Bridge, which leads to Grotto Island in the lake, was the only one that remained of four bridges originally at Painshill.
Archaeologists established that this was the second bridge to have stood on the spot, and that the original abutments had been enlarged and strengthened at some stage, but that its basic form remained unchanged.
The bridge was rebuilt in 1988 in its distinctive Chinese Chippendale style.
The Painshill Park Trust intends (2008) to reconstruct another bridge, originally built in the Palladian style and which crossed from Grotto Island back to the mainland. It will be rebuilt from the evidence in the William Woollett engraving of 1760.