Conservation Management Plans (CMPs) have proved to be valuable tools for developing informed management strategies for historic designed landscapes. CMPs typically include research on a site's history, development and surviving state, and taken together they form a sizeable body of material on the UK's designed landscape heritage.
To harness the potential of this information, in 2012 The Garden History Society launched a project to compile a reference list of CMPs and related research for historic designed landscapes. This was made possible with sponsorship and support from English Heritage.
Over the following year, the GHS called for details of CMPs from garden historians, landscape architecture practices, County Gardens Trusts, national heritage organisations, local authorities and individual properties.
We are grateful to have met with a tremendous response, and the information received has now been collated into a list of some 1000 entries.
The Garden History Society list of Conservation Management Plans is now available on Parks & Gardens UK in the Conservation area.
The published list is not intended to be a definitive catalogue of all CMPs relating to historic designed landscapes but it is hoped entries will be added in future, growing into a comprehensive reference.
The Hestercombe Gardens Trust (Somerset) plans to set up a Centre of Landscape Studies with a CMP archive and has advised on the GHS CMP project. For the moment though, the list simply offers an indication that the CMP exists – many are however available at publicly accessible archives or online.
We continue to welcome submissions, or additional details to existing entries, to email@example.com. (Information required is listed below)
Making a submission to the list
We continue to welcome submissions to The Garden History Society list of Conservation Management Plans, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where possible, please supply the following details:
• Site name
• Location (including county)
• EH Register grade, if applicable
• Purpose (e.g. Heritage Lottery Fund, Environmental Stewardship, English Heritage, Task Force Trees, planning application etc)
• Status e.g. draft, final
• Where to find a reference copy (preferably a public record office or library) and/or a web link
• If you are not the author/owner of the CMP, please try to obtain permission first, and let us know whether this has been done.
• Please alert us if there may be copyright issues.
• Would you be interested in submitting the CMP to the Hestercombe archive?