Painshill Park, Surrey
The lake had become silted up, after four decades of neglect.
The 14-acre serpentine lake was originally around half its present size. Charles Hamilton extended it in 1773 to flood the land at the foot of the vineyard and the Ruined Abbey.
The lake was dredged in 1986, removing some 40 years' worth of silt and debris. Its banks were also strengthened with timber edging to reduce the amount of soil slipping into the water.