Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

Sites with Context / principal building: Recreational

  • England , Bath

    Abbey Green is a grassed oval with a large plane tree in the centre. It is enclosed by listed buildings on three sides.

  • England , Pershore, Worcestershire

    Abbey Park represents the 18th-20th century grounds of Pershore Abbey which have functioned as a combined churchyard and public promenade since the Reformation.

  • Wales , Abergavenny

    Abergavenny Priory Deer Park is a well-preserved medieval deer park laid out on the south-east flank of Sugar Loaf Mountain. Much of the boundary bank and ditch and some of boundary wall are still in place.

  • England , Beechen Cliff

    Alexandra Park is a municipal park on top of Beechen Cliff, acquired by the City of Bath in 1896 and opened 1902.

  • Scotland , Girvan

    The house at Ardmillan burnt down in the mid-20th century and was demolished. Much of the estate woodland survives on hills behind the site of the castle. Part of the site is now occupied by a caravan park.

  • Scotland , Garraron

    Arduaine Gardens are situated on a headland overlooking the Asknish Bay and are influenced by the Gulf Stream. The gardens contain a nationally renowned collection of rhododendrons, many of them tender, as well as a host of other shrubs and woodland and water-loving perennials.

    Arduaine Gardens , Argyll - aerial view Arduaine Gardens , Argyll - aerial view

  • England , Great Malvern, Worcestershire

    The Assembly Rooms and Winter Gardens were opened in 1885. A 125 foot promenade leads to the Conservatory. The Assembly Rooms were converted to a theatre in the 1920s, and the conservatory into a ballroom.

  • England , Bristol

    A public park on a triangular site in the centre of Avonmouth Village.

    Avonmouth Park, Children's Play Area Avonmouth Park, Children's Play Area

  • Scotland , Loch Lomond

    The designed landscape at Balloch Castle on the shores of Loch Lomond was developed in the early-19th century when the new castle was built. It features well-preserved parkland, with avenues and many individual parkland trees. There are shrubberies and woodland walks with displays of rhododendrons, and a walled garden. The site of the 13th-century castle lies within the grounds.

  • Northern Ireland , Newtownhamilton

    Ballymoyer has the remains of a demesne for an 18th-century house, now demolished. There is a tree-planted glen.

  • Scotland , Balloch

    Bar Hill is a prominent dome-shaped hill north of Kirkintilloch characterised by an estate landscape of tree belts and larger plantations, the earliest dating from the 19th century. Sections of the 2nd-century Antonine Wall survive on the hill top along with the remains of a Roman fort.

  • England , Barnwood, Gloucester, Glos

    The site was originally a private mental asylum which encouraged patients to engage in sports. Vegetables were provided from their own kitchen garden and rare trees were planted to enhance the airing gardens. Following redevelopment many of the trees are now in a public arboretum.

    Plan of Barnwood House Hospital Plan of Barnwood House Hospital

  • England

    Beach Lawns was a late Victorian esplanade garden, now planted in a formal style.

  • Isle of Man , Ballaugh

    Bishopscourt has been an episcopal residence from around 1230. There have been several phases of planting. There were knot gardens and other formal gardens by the 1640s. From about 1700 there was extensive planting around the gardens and through the Bishopscourt Glen. The 'Cave of the Winds' and 'Mount Aeolus' in the glen date from the 1760s. Further planting, an American garden, rockeries and a pool in the glen date from the 1820s. The walled kitchen garden was sold for building land in the late 20th century.

  • Scotland , Doune

    The designed landscape at Blair Drummond comprises late-18th-century parkland, woodland and shrubberies, with late-19th-century terraced gardens around the house. The original parkland is now split between agricultural land, a Safari Park and restored gravel workings. The early-19th-century walled garden is used as a caravan park. The house and grounds are not open to the public but the Safari Park and Caravan Park are open in season.

  • England , Manchester

    This large public park was taken over by Manchester Corporation in 1894 and laid out in a naturalistic style with broad walks. It is maintained as an open space and is used for public meetings.

  • England , Harrogate

    Brimham Rocks is a natural landscape which has been enhanced with other features. There are footpaths, named rock features and a druid's cave. Brimham House is also on the site, but is not open to the public.

    Brimham Rocks, rock formation and moorland Brimham Rocks, rock formation and moorland

  • England

    Brinton Park is a public park given to the town of Kidderminster in 1887. Features include a lodge, a pool, a bandstand and a collection of trees.

  • England , Manchester

    Broadhurst Park provides a range of habitats and facilities. Much of the central and southern section is open grassland and woodland. A more formal landscape and recreational facilities are situated at the northern end.

  • England , Manchester

    The park is roughly rectangular in shape with pathways, ornamental planting and a woodland area. Sporting facilities were provided by Manchester Corporation when it purchased the site in about 1900.