Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

Lost Gardens

  • England , Hopton Castle

    Hopton Castle had a park associated with it in the early post-medieval and probably medieval periods, but it is now lost.

  • England , Newbold

    Gardens, possibly public pleasure grounds, attached to an inn. The site has been developed but the inn may still survive.

  • England , Bridgnorth, Shropshire

    Based on documentary references, there was a deerpark at Idsall in the medieval period, though it has not yet been identified in the present-day topography. Nonetheless, the chief (and residential) manor of Idsall presumably lay, like its post-medieval successors, within the southern part of Shifnal town, and the site of the park may be indicated by Park Street and Park House at the south-east end of Shifnal.

  • England , Ightfield

    Ightfield Hall, a moated site, was noted in the mid-16th century to lie within a well-wooded park. This park was mapped in 1611, and in 1752 'The Park' was apparently the name given to Ightfield Hall. Field names confirm the park extended north and north-west of the Hall to the stream bounding the parish. Its east side was presumably bounded by the Ightfield-Nantwich road. 'Churchwalk', a straight track or ride between the village and the Hall, was in place by 1846.

  • England , Impington

    A lost garden and country house demolished in the 20th century. The house was originally built in 1579 and later remodelled in 1724. The grounds featured ornamental lakes, canals and avenues.

  • England , Wigan, Greater Manchester

    Ince Hall had a house with garden and grounds on a roughly rectangular site. The house was to the northern end furthest from the road. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal lies to the west of the site. The long central drive with line of trees either side was described as a private avenue. There was a wooded area around the northern boundary, possibly as a screen against the Rose Bridge Colliery workings. There was also a kitchen garden, stables and two cottages on the site.

  • England , Wigan, Greater Manchester

    Ince Hall was near Warrington Lane. The building was timber-framed and was rebuilt in brick and stucco, then divided into three buildings. This was the home of the Ince family until the early-19th-century. The hall was flanked by roughly rectangular formal gardens. The site is now lost. The area has been largely built over. Part of land may survive as a playing field.

  • England

    Inkberrow Castle and its deer park are referred to in documents of the 13th century. There is no mention of either after the end of the 14th century.

  • England , Salford

    Irwell Bank had a house with grounds and small parkland area to the south of Regent Street (later Eccles New Road). The canal lay to the south, open fields to the west and Trafford View, a smaller residence, to the east. There was a curved drive from the road to the house with apparent footpath link to Trafford View. The site was affected by rapid encroachment by the late-19th-century on both sides of Eccles New Road. The park area was changed to a generally rounder area with what may have been two entrance lodges close to the road. The site is now lost, and the whole area has been developed for housing.

  • England , Bury, Greater Manchester

    Irwell House has a house with park bounded by the River Irwell to the west and Carr Clough to the east. There were entrance lodges to the north and south of the site. The northern lodge is marked as Bridge Lodge. This is an irregular site, with the house in a roughly central position facing south. The gardens or grounds lie to the north and east of the house leading down to the river bank. The site is cut through on the eastern side by a stream feeding two large lakes. The building has been demolished and the whole site is now part of Lower Kersal playing fields.

  • England , Bassingbourn

    The previous garden features include raised pathways, a moat and ponds.

  • England , Ellesmere

    Nothing remains on the ground of this medieval/ early post-medieval park.

  • England , Salford, Greater Manchester

    Kenyon Peel Hall had a hall with gardens and orchards in open country to the south of Hanging Bank (later Manchester Road West). This was an irregularly-shaped site at the end of a wooded track or drive and including a number of ponds or lakes. By the late-19th-century the area was being developed for housing and industrial purposes, the mainline railway was in place to the south of the site and the countryside was cut through with colliery railways linking to the main track. The whole area has now been developed, and this site is lost.

  • England

    Knighton Park was a deer park first recorded in 1392, and last mentioned in 1810.

  • Scotland , Lendalfoot

    Knockdaw Castle no longer stands and nothing remains of the once sizeable area of enclosed woodland associated with the castle in the 17th century.

  • England , Langley, Shropshire

    In the middle ages, half of Langley township plus another 121 hectares in Cound lay in Langley Park. The park shrunk, but survived into the post-medieval period, perhaps focused around Langley Hall. It still contained deer in the 17th century.

  • England , Leaton, Shropshire

    Leaton Knolls Hall, located on the east bank of the Severn, featured highly regarded grounds and gardens. The house once stood on the hill overlooking a romantic glen planted with thriving shrubberies and pleasant walks. Bagshaw wrote that 'in no place in the county is there to be seen such a fine collection of rare shrubs and choice forest trees' including 'an extensive and valuable collection of the conifera tribe, with their curious and varied foliage.' In 1851 a walled kitchen garden was being created.

    Leaton Knolls Hall, the hall and lawn Leaton Knolls Hall, the hall and lawn

  • England , Cardington, Shropshire

    Fulk Sprenchose, the lord of Plaish, had a park at Lee, in Cardington. It probably was in the area of the later Ley Hills Farm. The park is now lost.

  • England , Bransford

    A deerpark was licensed at Leigh in 1625.

  • England , Lilleshall, Shropshire

    Lilleshall park lay in the south-eastern part of Lilleshall parish, and was imparked at an unknown date in the Middle Ages. It was still extant in the 18th century, but it is now lost.