Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

Lost Gardens

  • England , Ellesmere, Shropshire

    There was a park at Ellesmere in the fourteenth century, owned by the Lestranges, who were lords of the manor. Nothing is known of this park from later documents, and it is now lost.

  • England , Manchester

    In 1848 the house and grounds lay to the west of Wilmslow Road in open countryside with the house situated at the northern-most part of the grounds. Just south of the house were the gardens and the parkland extended further south to Barlow Moor.

  • England , Droitwich

    Elmley Lovett Lodge was a half-timbered house of around 1635, demolished in 1890. It appears to have stood in a deer park, and was approached by an avenue of elm trees.

  • England , Wigan, Greater Manchester

    The Elms had a house with grounds to the west of Platt Bridge Lane. There was a small park or lawn to the west of the house and an orchard to the rear of the house. By the late-19th-century the park had been reduced and the site was clearly being used for two separate dwellings one of which was now called the Platts. The site is now lost, and the whole area has been developed for houses.

  • England , Tameside, Greater Manchester

    Fairfield Mill was a textile mill in grounds to the north of Manchester Road. The site was bounded by a canal to the east and fields to the north and west. The mill was built of red brick of several phases. The most recent part had an 'AD 1913' keystone. An Italianate water tower is situated to the front of the site. There was an associated brick warehouse and an office block of mid- to late-19th-century date. There was a park to the west in 1848, with a wooded boundary. A small, unidentified building within the park was developed as Birch Farm by 1895. The mill was greatly extended and the boundary belt was thinned. Surrounding housing and industrial development was also extended. The site is now lost. The park has been built over, and the mill was demolished in 1993.

  • England , Tameside, Greater Manchester

    Fairfield Moravian Settlement was a settlement in grounds to the north of Manchester Road. The site was bounded by a canal to the north-east and Annital Lane to the north-west. There were open fields to the south-west. There was an open, fan-shaped area to the south, with a drive linking the settlement with Manchester Road. By 1895 there had been substantial encroachment, and the burial ground had been closed. The buildings were extant, but the open areas had been developed. The site is now lost.

  • England , Gloucestershire

    This was what Verey described as 'an almost perfect Restoration composition' of house, garden and park, built next to the church and village of Fairford. Its formal Franco-English style was altered in the 18th century, first to a Rococco syle and then to the landscape style. The mansion was demolished in 1957 and a school was built on the site. The park and gardens reverted to farmland. Verey describes this as a 'tragic loss'.

  • Scotland , Pinwherry

    Fardenreoch is situated on the north side of a tributary of the River Stinchar.

  • England , High Wycombe

    The semi-formal gardens at Fingest Grove are now fragmented and the property has been developed.

  • England , Tameside, Greater Manchester

    The 1848 map shows a long narrow house set at the junction of Smallshaw Lane Tram Road and Holebottom Pit New Road. The site has a tree belt around three sides, with three ponds and a pleasure garden. The 1895 map shows the site un-named. The house has been much extended to the rear. Only part of the tree belt seems to have survived, and one of the ponds has disappeared. The tram road and the pit road had, by 1895, become ordinary roads and the area was beginning to be built up. The site has been lost, and is now built over.

  • England , Manchester

    The Firs had a house in grounds with parkland to the east of Whitworth Lane surrounded by open fields. The house survives, and the grounds are now part of Manchester University Athletic Grounds.

  • England , Bolton

    Firwood has a house with grounds and parkland to the south of Firwood Lane. There is an entrance lodge on Thicketford Road. Features include a wooded area with walks around, and partially concealing, the house, and a lake to the north.

  • England , Fitz, Shropshire

    There was a deer park at Fitz before 1356, when it was poached. The park probably lay immediately south of Fitz church. In the 19th century, the Severn bank there was called 'Park Bank.'

  • England , Tameside, Greater Manchester

    Flowery Field House had a house in grounds to the west of Newton Street. The Great Central and Midland Joint Railway lay to the west. There was a cricket ground to the north and Dukinfield Road to the south. The site had a small pleasure ground and an open area with a stream, surrounded by a shelter belt to the south of the site. The layout of the surrounding area suggests that the site may have been reduced. It may originally have included the area used as a cricket ground and the land beyond the railway.

  • England , Manchester

    Ford Bank had a house with grounds and a small park. Carr Lane was to the south (Ford Lane 1895), with open fields to the west and north-east of the site in 1848. The house and pleasure ground were situated to the north-eastern boundary. There was a wooded boundary belt to the lane. By 1895, the area of park had been reduced to the south-east corner. Planting on the north-west boundary had been thickened. The site is now lost, having been developed for housing.

  • England , Mepal

    Features of Fortrey's Hall included extensive gardens, which have now been lost.

  • England , Waldron, East Sussex

    A designed garden is shown on the Ordnance Survey 6" of l910. There is a lawn to the south of the house, between rows of trees, and an orchard to the north. The Farm has two ponds. The Manor has glasshouses, a conservatory and a fountain. The main building is now thought to be a convent, and the garden appears to have been lost.

  • England , Lichfield

    Fradley Hall had extensive 18th-century gardens, now lost.

  • England , Halesowen

    Frankley Park was a deer park first recorded in the 14th century and apparently disparked in the 17th century.

  • England , Wigan, Greater Manchester

    Fulwell House was a house with grounds to the north of Squires Lane. Hindsford Brook runs to the north of the site. There were two entrances to the site from Squires Lane either side of a pleasure ground, which was set out with individual trees and a small pond. The Eccles, Tyldesley and Wigan Railway line cut through the north-eastern corner of the site and was screened by a small block of trees. The site remained fairly unchanged through to the end of the 19th century, although there was an extension of tree planting along the eastern boundary. This was probably in an attempt to screen out the railway line. The house has been demolished and there is a small development of houses in the grounds, but the outline shape of the site is still clear.