Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

Lost Gardens

  • England , Bury, Greater Manchester

    Limefield House has a house with a small park bounded by Walmersley Road to the east, Pigs Lee Brook to the north and west and open fields to the south. Limefield Cotton Mills lie adjacent to the site to the east of Walmersley Road. This is an irregular site, with the house in a central position towards the eastern boundary. The pleasure ground to the south-east corner of the site was much simplified by the 1890s, when the surrounding area was beginning to be developed. The area has now been developed for housing.

  • England , Greater London

    Little Heath Green is a triangular site, a remnant of the village green here, which dates back at least to the C14th. The pattern of roads today follows the original settlement pattern. Until 1909 there was a village pond on the Green, which is now surrounded by relatively recent trees. The houses around the green are generally 2-storey domestic buildings ranging from 200 years old to recent date. A timber signpost that was locally listed has since disappeared.

  • Wales , Vale of Glamorgan

    The 1878 Ordnance Survey map shows a small garden in front of the house and to the east, with a tree-lined drive between the house and the road. A monkey puzzle is known to have been in front of the house around 1905. Shrubberies, lawns, and a walled productive kitchen garden are known from a later photograph.

    Part/component of: Llanblethian

    Verland's Cowbridge Verland's Cowbridge

  • Wales , Llandough-juxta-Cowbridge

    The oldest parts of the house date from the 15th century. There were periods of development of the gardens, maily between 1803 and 1818 under the occupancy of the Prices, and in the late-19th century, when William Harkness was head gardener. The site continued in good repair until after World War 2, at which time the land was divided and much of the remaining garden was left to return to the wild.

    Llandough Castle, with outdoor swimming pool Llandough Castle, with outdoor swimming pool

  • Scotland , Cumnock

    Strips of boundary planting are all that remain of the 18th- and 19th-century designed landscape associated with the house at Logan. The western part of the estate was redeveloped for housing after the house was demolished.

  • England , Minsterley

    Lower Hogstow is a medieval deerpark, now lost.

  • England , Preston upon the Weald Moors, Shropshire

    Lubstree park was a deer park of medieval origin, and there was a lodge there from the early 17th century. The park was enclosed and the lodge destroyed in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

  • England , Bayston Hill, Shropshire

    Until 1346 Lythwood was a royal hay of about 800 acres. In that year it was granted to Shrewsbury abbey with licence to impark 240 acres, although it is uncertain whether a park was actually created. There are now no remains of this medieval landscape.

  • England

    Mamble Park was a deer park shown on maps from the 16th to the 18th century. It may have been associated with the nearby Sodington Hall.

  • England , Trafford, Greater Manchester

    This site had botanical and horticultural gardens. The gardens were developed on land purchased by the Botanical and Horticultural Society and opened in 1831. Sub-tropical plants were grown in glasshouses and the gardens became a fashionable resort in the mid-19th-century. The site was extended to the railway line, bridging Talbot Road and extending as far as Warwick Road. The main building was cross-shaped, 300 metres long, with a dome and was designed by the architects Maxwell and Tuke who also designed the Blackpool Tower. The site is now lost. The area has been developed as the White City Stadium.

  • England , Salford, Greater Manchester

    Manchester Zoological Gardens were sited between Broom Lane and Northumberland Street. The site was landscaped and included a 'Grand Menagerie' and a lake. There was also a maze and an archery ground and a system of promenade walks on the site. The site is now lost.

  • England , Manchester

    Manley Park had a house and grounds to the north of Clarendon Road. There was a wooded park with a serpentine lake. The site is now lost.

  • England , Maresfield

    The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows a Wilderness, avenues, parkland, lakes, parterre with a fountain to south-west and an entrance court to the south-east. In 1910 there was a boathouse on the lower lake. The 1961 Ordnance Survey map shows the park built over but the Wilderness remains. The Ordnance Survey Explorer Map 135 (1996) shows that the A22 Maresfield Bypass was built through the Wilderness.

  • England , near Habberley, Shropshire

    There was a royal park at "Marsetelie" in the late Saxon period. Domesday Book records that when Edward the Confessor stayed at Shrewsbury, it was the custom for the better men townsmen who had horses to guard him while he hunted. In addition, the sheriff had to find 36 footmen to act as drivers and beaters for the game.

  • Scotland , Dalrymple

    The ruined traces of the 16th- or 17th-century tower house sit on what is now a small peninsula jutting out into Loch Martnaham. The house was originally situated on an islet and was associated with woodland planting south and north of the loch. The loch and the oak woodland to the south of it are designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest.

  • England , Marton, Baschurch, Shropshire

    In the 19th century, Marton Hall had a park and formal gardens to the south and south-east of the house.

  • England , Stockport, Greater Manchester

    The site at Meadow Bank was bounded by Heaton Lane to the south and open fields on all other sides. There was boundary planting around the field boundaries. By 1895, the site had become more formalised, with two small central buildings surrounded by a tree-lined crescent and approached by a drive on the west side. The site is now lost, although the street layout reflects the original crescent and drive.

  • England , Oakington

    A 14 hectare site used in the early part of the 20th century as an extensive plant nursery by Alan Bloom. Bloom left the property in 1947 and it is now a council depot.

  • England , Siefton, Culmington, Shropshire

    Medley Park appears as a placename on a map of 1752. Field names, as well as the curving boundary to the west and north of Medley Park Farm, strongly suggest that Medley had been a park.

  • England , Manchester

    Medlock Hall had a hall and grounds with a park built by David Holt, a Quaker and sewing cotton manufacturer and the founder of Holt Town. The hall was approached from the Bradford Road along a country lane and over a bridge called Quakers Bridge (now Gibson Street). The hall was surrounded by large gardens, with extensive glasshouses and a park. The house is now demolished. Sir William Fairbairn was the last tenant.