Crom Castle, Newtownbutler, Northern Ireland
Record Id: 997
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Crom is a heavily-wooded lough shore and island demesne. The 17th-century ruinous bawn house with an adjacent pair of ancient yew trees and elements of the formal garden remain. Elsewhere landscaping by W.S. Gilpin of 1838 is associated with the contemporary house. There are many estate buildings.
Brief history of site
The bawn house dates from 1611. There is landscaping by W.S. Gilpin from 1838.
Address: Upper Lough Erne, Newtownbutler, County Fermanagh, BT92 8AP
Historical County: Fermanagh
|OSNI Discoverer map sheet number:||27||Grid Ref:||H360245|
Three miles west of Newtownbutler on a minor road.
Opening contact details:
The grounds are open from 10am daily. The house is private.
Parking, tearoom, shop.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Conservation
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1611
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains