Anfield Cemetery, (also known as Liverpool Cemetery), Liverpool, England
Record Id: 99
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Anfield is a mid-19th-century cemetery laid out by Edward Kemp. The site covers approximately 44 hectares. Elements include axial and circular paths, two chapels and a gothic style catacomb.
Brief history of site
An order was issued in 1854 banning further burials in the extant overcrowded cemeteries of Liverpool. Land was subsequently obtained for a new cemetery, and the first burial at Anfield Cemetery took place in 1863. The site was laid out by Edward Kemp.
Address: Anfield Cemetery & Crematorium, 236 Priory Road, Liverpool, L4 2SL
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||108||Grid Ref:||SJ365940|
On the south-east side of the A5058, north of Liverpool city centre.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1856 to 1863
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 44