Crewe Hall, Crewe, Cheshire, England
Record Id: 988
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Crewe Hall has an extensive landscape park of about 200 hectares, dating from the 18th century. The park originally had a lake of 23 hectares. Formal 19th-century gardens surround the house, which is now a hotel.
Brief history of site
The Crewe estate was purchased in the late-16th-century by Sir Randulph Crewe. Crewe Hall was built in the early-17th-century and was greatly enlarged around 1800. The landscape park was created during the 18th century. Formal gardens were added round the house in the 19th century. The house was refurbished in the late-19th-century.
Address: Crewe Hall, Weston Road, CW1 6UZ
Locality: Crewe, Cheshire
Cheshire East; Weston
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||118||Grid Ref:||SJ 733 540|
West of the M6 at Crewe
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: Before 1646
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 200