Nantwich Walled Garden, Cheshire, England
Record Id: 9558
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The garden is surrounded on three sides by the original walls (listed Grade II), which have survived virtually intact for over 400 years. However, some damage has occurred in recent years through natural weathering and probably vandalism. The interior of the garden is now overgrown.
Brief history of site
The garden was part of the site of Townsend House which was situated to its west. The house and walls were built in the late-16th century by the Wilbraham family. Until the early-2000s the garden was privately owned and by the end of the 20th century was used as an orchard. For approximately the last 15 years, the walled garden has been owned by a series of property developers, but at the time of writing (April 2016) no building has started.
Address: Welsh Row, Nantwich, Cheshire, CW5 5UT
Cheshire East; Nantwich
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||118||Grid Ref:||SJ646524|
Form of site: walled garden
Plant type/environment: walled garden
Site first created: 1575 to 1610
Main period of development: 16th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 0.2