War Memorial Green, Stubbington, Fareham, England
Record Id: 9552
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The Green is now a traffic island and has been hedged and grassed to form a garden. Narrow paths provide pedestrian access to the garden and between the shops on either side of the Green. The square wooden structure is situated on stone paving slabs, and is supported on its four corners by posts on stone piers. It has a round stone basin and pump in its centre. The structure is open on all sides with gable ends to the roof above. Solid wooden planks that may act as seats have been added at right angles to each corner extending into the paved area. It provides a surprising quiet area and is well maintained.
Brief history of site
In 1922, a wooden structure covering the local village pump was erected in the middle of the Village Green to commemorate those from Stubbington and Hill Head who died in World War 1. The mother of the only woman among those who died proposed and designed the memorial. The names of the dead were carved on the inside roof. By 2000 the names had become indistinct but they have now been fully restored.
Address: The Village Green, Stubbington, PO14 2JY
Hampshire; Fareham; Stubbington
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||196||Grid Ref:||SU554032|
Form of site: village green
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1922
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.04