War Memorial and Garden, Blackmoor, Bordon, England
Record Id: 9544
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The small garden consisting of an oblong lawn is outlined by roses set in stone edged beds. These are within the arms of a magnificent stone walled and slated timber framed cloister adorned with bronze memorial plaques and a water fountain. To one side is a parkland with 100 year old oaks under-planted with hollies, and with crocus and narcissus scattered in the grass.
Brief history of site
The Memorial and Garden were commissioned by the second Lord Selborne and built in 1920 to the designs of architect Sir Herbert Baker with bronze plaques by sculptor Charles Wheeler. It was a gift in memory of Lord Selborne’s son killed in WWI and all the men of Blackmore killed in 1914-18 plus a memorial to all the children of the parish. In addition the memorial includes those killed in 1940-45. It is set within parkland left to the parish.
Address: Church Lane, Blackmoor, Hampshire, GU33 6BS
Hampshire; East Hampshire
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||SU780335|
Form of site: memorial garden
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1920
Main period of development: Early 20th century