Cowdray House, (also known as Cowdray Ruins), Midhurst, England
Record Id: 954
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Cowdray House has a medieval park landscaped in the late-18th century by Lancelot Brown. Eleven hectares of the park are Victorian pleasure grounds.
Brief history of site
A new house was built on or near the present site in the late-13th century. It was re-built in the early-16th century. The Earl of Southampton was granted a licence in 1532-3 to impark land to make the present park at Cowdray. The formal walled gardens were probably laid out in the 1540s and 1550s. Lancelot Brown worked on the site from 1768 to 1774.
Address: Cowdray Park, Midhurst, GU29 9AL
West Sussex; Chichester; Easebourne
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU891216|
Opening contact details:
Cowdray Ruins are open from mid-March to the end of October. Please see:
The Victorian House known as Cowdray Park, situated close by, is a private residence and is NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1250 to 1299
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 355