War Memorial Garden, Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute, Scotland
Record Id: 9499
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The war memorial and memorial garden are set within Hermitage Park, a municipal park covering some 4.7 hectares. The memorial itself is a raised monument approached by steps and topped with a dome. It bears the names of the fallen of both World Wars. The memorial is set within a walled garden featuring yew trees and flower beds.
Brief history of site
The memorial garden opened in 1922, in the walled garden of Hermitage House (now destroyed). One of the main influences was local artist James Whitelaw Hamilton, a town councillor and connected with the ‘Glasgow Boys’ group of artists. It is said that he suggested the old walled garden of Hermitage House, already a public park, as the best location for a memorial to those who had fallen in the First World War.
The design competition was won by Alexander Nisbet Paterson. A successful HLF bid in 2014 will be used to restore the garden and other parts of Hermitage Park.
Address: Hermtage Park, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, G84 8TX
Locality: Argyll and Bute
Argyll & Bute; Helensburgh North
Historical County: Argyllshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||56||Grid Ref:||NS299828|
Opening contact details:
The park is open daily throughout the year.
Form of site: memorial garden
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Early 20th century