Coughton, (also known as Coughton Court), Alcester, England
Record Id: 946
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site originates in the medieval period. Coughton Park, now a wood, lies 2 kilometres to the west. John Davenport undertook improvements in the late 18th century. The extensive grounds include two churches, a lake and a riverside walk. The gardens cover 10 hectares and were recreated in the 1990s to a period design. There is a formal courtyard garden, a walled garden and a bog garden.
Brief history of site
This site has been the home of the Throckmorton family since 1409. The present house originates in the Tudor period. It has important associations with the Gunpowder Plot and saw much activity during the Civil War. The central gatehouse and half-timbered courtyard remain.
Address: Coughton Court, Coughton, nr Alcester, Warwickshire, B49 5JA
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Coughton
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||150||Grid Ref:||SP081605|
2 miles north of Alcester on the A435.
Opening contact details:
Core opening hours: April to September, Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat. Sun. 11.30 to 5pm. Also Tuesdays in July and August. In October, open Saturday and Sunday only. Check for variations.
Parking. Refreshments. Shop. WCs. Disabled access.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Main period of development: Late 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 10