Cotehele, Tavistock, England
Record Id: 940
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The gardens at Cotehele have developed since the 16th century. They include about 6 hectares of formal and informal gardens within about 54 hectares of parkland and ornamental woodland.
Brief history of site
In the late-15th and early-16th century an existing house was remodelled by Sir Richard Edgcumbe. It is likely that some of the formal gardens date to this period also. A mid-16th century plan of Cotehele (Cornwall Record Office) shows two parks, together with orchards and enclosures around the house. Some renovation and remodelling work took place in the mid-19th century.
Address: Cotehele, St Dominick, nr Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6TA
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||201||Grid Ref:||SX422685|
8 miles south-west of Tavistock, 2 miles east of St Dominick.
Opening contact details:
The house is open between March and November, but the gardens are accessible all year round, 10am to dusk.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: detached house
Site first created: 1485 to 1560
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 60