Ampthill Park, Ampthill, Bedfordshire, England
Record Id: 94
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Ampthill is an 18th-century landscape park. The immediate area of 1.75 hectares around Park House is now separated from the main parkland.
Brief history of site
Ampthill Great Park, originally a deer park, surrounded Ampthill Castle, which was built in the early-15th century by Sir John Cornwall. The castle was ruinous by the end of the 16th century and the present Park House was built in the late-17th century to replace the Great Lodge. The house was re-modelled in 1769, and the park was landscaped by Lancelot Brown in 1771-2.
Address: Ampthill Park, Ampthill, Bedfordshire, MK45 2HF
Locality: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
Central Bedfordshire; Ampthill
Historical County: Bedfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||153||Grid Ref:||TL027388|
West of the A6, north of the A527.
Opening contact details:
This is now a public park, open daily.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site Style : English landscape garden
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 140