Kenley Airfield, (also known as Kenley Commons and RAF Kenley), Greater London, England
Record Id: 9372
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Kenley Airfield is the best preserved RAF airfield of its period; 10 of its 12 'fighter pens' or Blast Bays remain in the Croydon section of the site. Although the core remains in Ministry of Defence ownership, substantial areas on the perimeter were transferred back to the Corporation and public access restored to the outer areas of the airfield.
Brief history of site
The land was part of Kenley Common, preserved in 1883 through acquisition by the Corporation of London. It was taken for the airfield in 1917 under the Defence of the Realm Act. After WWI the airfield was upgraded for the new RAF and later became an important facility during WWII. It remained an operational airfield until 1978.
Address: Hayes Lane, Kenley, CR8 5AW
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Croydon
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176/177||Grid Ref:||TQ328577|
Rail: Whyteleafe, Whyteleafe South
Opening contact details:
The site is only partially open to the public.
Form of site: designed urban space
Purpose of site: Defence
Context or principal building: military airfield site
Main period of development: Early 20th century