Corsham Court, Wiltshire, England
Record Id: 934
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Corsham Court has 18th-century parkland featuring woodland and a lake, with 19th-century gardens close to the house.
Brief history of site
The earliest reference to a park on the site dates from the Calender of Close Rolls of 1246. Work on the present house began in 1582. Various plans were drawn up for improvements to the estate in the mid-18th century, but it is unclear to what extent these were implemented. Paul Methuen commissioned Lancelot Brown to work at Corsham Court from 1760 to 1780. Humphry Repton was commissioned in 1795, and John Nash was employed to alter and extend the house.
Address: Corsham, SN13 0BZ
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||173||Grid Ref:||ST870706|
The site is close to junction 17 on the M4, some four miles west of Chippenham.
Opening contact details:
The garden is open all week except Mondays and Fridays from March to September, but only at weekends in the winter.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1246
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 188