Corporation Park, Blackburn, England
Record Id: 930
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Corporation Park is a public park which was laid out by William Henderson, and opened in 1857 for the people of Blackburn. The park gained a Green Flag Award in 2007. Occupying about 18 hectares, it has sports and play facilities and a Garden of Remembrance. This garden is Blackburn's main war memorial and can be found just inside the main entrance arch.
Brief history of site
The land was purchased in 1855, and the park was opened to the public in 1857, having cost a total of £14,701.
Address: Corporation Park, Preston New Road, Blackburn, BB1 8BF
Blackburn with Darwen
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||103||Grid Ref:||SD674288|
Less than a mile from the town centre on the A677 to Preston.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park open daily for general public use.
Sports and play facilities.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1857
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 18